Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

morning glory

I am not a morning runner.  In fact, I've really never been a morning person.  
Sure, I wake up on my own around 7 am everyday, but it takes me a good hour with my nose stuck in my computer and a mug of steaming coffee until I am ready to face the world.
Ask my mom.  She had to deal with me.

So tell me to set the alarm a whole hour and a half early to climb out of the cozy warm bed to face the elements outside and perform physical activity?  I think not.

I have tried, believe you me.  I lay the clothes out.  I call the morning running friends to meet me. I make the coffee ahead of time. I even vow to run on the treadmill to avoid the cold.

Yes, I know the benefits of getting up before the flipping sun does (that is just WRONG) and getting a run in.  You get it out of the way.  You feel SO energized. You rev up your metabolism.  Blah blah blah.

Why is it the night before the idea of an early morning run sounds SO wonderful?  I am such the ambitious gal as I lay in bed making my early morning run plans: "I will do a route I've never done!  Maybe I'll do speedwork!  1 mile repeats at 6 AM...that sounds awesome! I'll get in 8 miles!"

Then the alarm sounds. I hit snooze and think, "maybe I'll do 5 miles instead of 8".  
The alarm goes off a 2nd time and I jab the snooze button once more: "a 3 mile tempo run may be all the time I have for"
The next time I wake up I think "oh darn!  it is too late for me to do anything.  gotta get ready for work and school".

And here I am.  Drinking my coffee and plinking away on the computer.  Yes, I was supposed to run this morning.  And, no I didn't.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment