Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

YOU GO GIRL!!!!


I signed up to do the Fifth 3rd (or is it 5th third? or 5/3?) River Bank run in Grand Rapids. The race is on May 8th...a lifetime away. It is a 25K race...which i thought was 15 miles. Looking on the map of the route from the website, it is 15.64. Um...that is .64 more miles than I was planning. Deep breaths...

Apparently it is the largest (probably only!) 25K in the country. There are 18,000 participants (including 10K and 5K runners, and hand cyclists too). No pressure. I guess that is chump change in comparison to NY Marathon's 40,000 runners in the Fall. I figured it would be something to get me going in training for the marathon. If I can't do 15 (.64-hmph), there is no way in hell I can do 26. (.2 if we are getting technical, which most runners are).

I pulled out the DeWitt school calendar to count back the weeks until the race. I am planning on doing Hal Higdon's intermediate half marathon training guide (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm ) which is a 12 week program to get you to 13 miles. So, I figured I'd add another 2 weeks to get my mileage up to where it needs to be. Plenty of time to train. May is SO far away, right? Week 1 of training landed me at the week of January 25th. When is that?? Um...isn't that this week? Seriously???

So after dropping Sam off at preschool, I hauled my ass over to the YMCA (i am telling you, it's my home away from home...). I followed Hal's words of wisdom and did a speed workout of 5x400 meters - which is after you warm up, running a fast pace for a "lap" around the treadmill track and then slow jog for half that distance. You do that 5 times and then cool down. Eventually Hal wants you to do this 10 times. I think Hal is on crack.

I won't go into details but it wasn't pretty. I know my face was splotchy and dripping in sweat. I was gasping for breath as I finished the last interval. A cute woman with Down's Syndrome was on the treadmill next to mine, sweating it out at her 1.5 setting, God love her. I noticed her watching me pant and heave. When I stopped she looked at me and shouted "YOU GO GIRL!!!!!" and held out her hand. I blurted back "No, you go girl!!!" and slapped her five.

I just wanted to give her a sweaty big hug b/c it made that workout totally worth it. I hope she's there when I do 10 x 400 meters!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love them all. I totally wish I could have been there today. It just makes it all worth it :) little did she know she just made your day and little did you know you made her day. Something so simple but something so sweet....

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Here's my second attempt @ a comment; not sure what happened to my first . . .)

    I love this post, Kim. It chokes me up. Like Sara said, so simple and sweet ~ as only the best people and things in life are.

    ReplyDelete