Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

We meet again Mr. Higdon

Oh, how I've missed you Hal.  For the past 3 months I have ran without a plan.  Ran 3 miles here.  Ran 5 miles there.  Ran at a 10:30 pace.  Ran at a 7:40 pace (well, that was a 5K race to be fair.  But it sounds pretty freaking cool to throw it in there, you know?).  Skipped a whole 2 weeks of running due to 4 nasty wisdom teeth plucked out of my jaw, dry socket and a nasty infection (let me tell you...Fuuuuunnnn Times).  I have to admit, it was nice to be without a plan.  To run free.
But 2011 brings the promise of a new racing season.  A half marathon race in April, a couple of 5Ks thrown into the mix, and a little something called my 2ND MARATHON at the end of May.  Oh, and another lottery application to the NYC marathon for November (2nd time is a charm...right Sara??).  And all of this brings a visit to www.halhigdon.com where I can be neurotic and obsess about how fast to run mid-distances and how to complete my long distance runs during vacation.  And I love it.  A true type A runner, I love the structure that my old friend Hal brings to my running days.   Thanks for coming back to me Hal baby.  Zach might have some competition.

Friends, let's put it out there:  What are you running this first half of 2011 and what are your goals?  There is some scientific evidence that if you actually put your goals in writing you are more likely to accomplish them.  So I am assuming that if you tell them to lots of faceless people in the blogging world, your chances to achieve these goals goes up immensely! Let's hope we can all look back at this blog post and say "I DID IT!" to every single one...

I suppose I can start us off:
April 2nd:  Martian 1/2 Marathon.  Good goal: under 2 hours.  Most awesome goal: 1 hour 51 min.
April 17th:  Race for the Cure.  Good goal: under 23 minutes.  Most awesome goal:  22:30
May 28th:  Bayshore Marathon. Good goal: 4 hours 10 min.  Most awesome: under 4 hours. GULP!

Yikes.  I sure put it out there.

Oh!  One more thing...I'll be blogging over at http://gfrteam.blogspot.com with an awesome focus group training for various distances at Bayshore in May while learning Good Form Running techniques.  Be sure to follow us too!

4 comments:

  1. Let's be honest! We all know how hard I'm trying to accomplish about 4 5k's, a 10k and a 1/2 marathon between now and August-I put it out there in my "blog world" sure is great, will even be greater if I can accomplish it all!!! Nice work Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You SO can do it! Chicago 1/2 marathon right? I will be there too! You can so do it...just pull up Hal and figure out when you need to start training. Looking forward to seeing you in class again in the Spring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love your blog.
    I've taken a HUGE step for my running self and registered for the Chicago 1/2 marathon. My first! I too have found a Higdon training program to follow that looks logical and do-able. I'm excited and nervous. This will be a year of firsts for my running career, as I've also committed to my first 10K and the Mint City 10-Miler. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, you're awesome! Thanks for all your support and encouragement!
    I'm running my first MARATHON on May 28th at Bayshore. Hal is also my friend for this endeavor. (I am thinking Hal has a lot of women following him now!) I just want to finish. Oh, and be able to walk and drink wine afterward.
    I would like to improve my 5K time. My best is just over 28 minutes. Dare I say 27?!?! I will be doing this at the April Race for the Cure.
    Then there is that tri thing I keep trying. I will be doing the Luddington Lighthouse Oly Tri on August 22nd. This is my second oly tri. Anything has got to be better than the first! I'll be happy to run the whole 10K at the end.

    ReplyDelete