Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Dreadmill

I did all I could to avoid you.  In fact, I think I was in denial.


When I woke up with 11 inches of snow on the ground and wind gusts in the 30s, I knew running outside was NOT an option.  I promptly brought up Hal's training guide and saw I needed to run 5 miles.
Hm. Could I do said 5 miles another day?  Nope, had other training runs or other commitments.
I poured myself a cup of coffee while the kids pranced around me to the imaginary tune of "no school! snow day! no school!".  My husband came downstairs and hopped on the treadmill for his morning run.  Oh darn.  Looks like the dreadmill is occupied....

Sidebar: Why is it that I don't mind the treadmill at the YMCA, but I can't stand working out on mine?  Is it because it is holed up in the basement and all I do is stare at a white wall while I run?  Is it because my kids constantly come down and try to talk to me above my blaring music, messing up my 'mill zone?

I moved onto a second cup of coffee.  Kids still dancing.  5 miles looming over my head. I walked down to the basement and just looked at the dreadmill.  It looked back at me.  I came upstairs and baked a loaf of banana bread.  Who knew...It takes 1 hour to bake banana bread so I'd better hang upstairs until its done.

It was done.  Reluctantly I gave in and went upstairs and put on my running clothes. On the way to the basement I found a few things that needed done.  The dishwasher needed to be unloaded and loaded.  And jeez was the living room floor full of dog hair!  Better vacuum that up.  I rechecked my training schedule to make sure it said 5 miles. Yep.  5 miles.

Downstairs the 'mill and I had another stare down...as if it was taunting me and saying "you gonna do this or what?".  Before I could think of any other chores that needed done (although my kitchen floor could really use a good scrub by hand...) I hopped on.  And I ran. I didn't love it, although I didn't hate it either.  As I ran, I thought about my post dreadmill reward:  a 2 pm snowday glass of wine.  Or two.

45 minutes and 5 miles later, I was done.  Let's hope the roads are clear today because I don't want to have another stare down with that piece of machinary again!

No comments:

Post a Comment