Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

can you cancel it out?

it is monday evening and after a hard 8 mile run (most of it with my Running 102 class), i find myself, as usual, hungry.  as luck would have it, my best girl friend and i ventured to our local bakery for lunch today (so nice to spend time with you today Sara) and it is national pie day, so we got a free piece of pie with our lunch.  i had big plans for this my friends, so i took a few little bites and tucked it away for later.

my husband travels quite a bit which leaves me home with my 2 little buddies to concoct dinner.  this is my excuse to either make all the things he would never eat (read: lots of my weird recipes) and/or eat bowls of granola and cinnamon toast crunch for dinner every night.

tonight i decided to make my favorite no hubby meal:  quinoa.  he can't stand the stuff, the kids scrunch their noses at it...and i love it.

this recipe is adapted from the Clean Eating Diet.  So I ask you, if i ate a bowl of it for dinner, will it cancel out the 8 oz glass of pinot noir i just guzzled and the rest of the carmel apple sweetie pie i am about to inhale?


quinoa w/ red peppers and spinach (adapted from clean eating diet w/ a few kim changes)

1 tbl of olive oil
1 med onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 cup water
1 vegetarian soup-stock cube
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1 cup chopped spinach


Preparation
  1. Add finely chopped onion, minced garlic, celery and salt to olive oil in saucepan and sauté until onions are slightly brown. Add chopped red pepper and continue to sauté until onions are caramelized.
  2. Add water, stock cubes and rinsed quinoa. Bring mixture to a simmer. Stir once after 5 minutes, then simmer for another 35 minutes or until water has been cooked in. Add spinach and cover and let stand 10 minutes.  Fluff quinoa mixture lightly with a fork

No comments:

Post a Comment