Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Dear Running Streak. Dear Marathon.

Dear Running Streak,
Well, it's been real fun.  58 days of nonstop running.  Through rain, sleet, snow, ice, wind, and early mornings (2:50am!).  Alone, with friends, or on the treadmill. We even had a couple of nice vacations together.
It's been real fun.
But here's the thing.  It's time for me to take over.  My dream is bigger and badder than you are.  I will test her body in ways that you couldn't even imagine.  And when I really start to ramp up her training, she will hurt.  She will be tired.  And, she will need a day to rest. None of this "just-running-a -little-2-mile-fluff-run-so-I-can-say-I-went-out-today" business.
So, it's been super cute while it lasted but this BAHG (big ass hairy goal) of re-qualifying for Boston in June?  Well, it trumps you.
Sorry to break you guys up.  It's not you, it's me.
Thanks for the ride.  Maybe we'll come back to you after June 21.
With love,
The Marathon

Dear Marathon,
First of all, that is a bit pretentious of you to put "THE" in front of your name.  I get it, 26.2 miles is no joke.  Quite the accomplishment.  Nonetheless, I think my gig is pretty sweet and nothing to blow over.  Not many people can run everyday for a week, let alone a whole year.  I don't think you give my end goal enough credit.  It IS hard to run everyday, all the time.  I guess I am too demanding and not very flexible with her time.  I get it. I understand.  
You two have fun doing your "marathon thing".  16 weeks of long miles, sweat and possibly tears. I hope you gain that 5 pound marathon weight plus a little more.  And don't come crying to me and my "little 2 mile fluff run"  on the eve of that last 20 mile training run...
Rats, there I go again. Sorry. I am being too harsh. You both deserve this...working to go to Boston again. Who am I to stand in your way?
I'm not bitter.  I promise.  Though, I may need to "unfriend" you on Facebook because I won't be able to stand hearing all the great times you share together.
Take care,
Your Running Streak

The marathon wins.  16 week training begins next week. Still follow me here as I jot down my highs and lows on the road to Boston 2015. 

Until next time...run happy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment