Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Keeping on keeping on

Whoa.  I have 8 days of running that I have not kept up to speed on here!  I can't even say that I have been super busy...I suppose I have just been keeping on keeping on with the streak.  Rumor has it (within the rumor mill of my head) that this streak will end soon.  I am not sure when that will be, but with marathon training looming ahead for me, and the injuries I had last Fall, everyday running when hitting those big mileage numbers may not be in the cards.  I am at peace with it.  My marathon goals and qualifying for Boston are bigger than this streak.  It's not a matter of IF I can qualify for Boston again...it's when.  I made my Spring marathon commitment...Charlevoix June 21 (guess that is summer).  If it doesn't happen then...well, a Fall marathon may just have to happen.  I can't really say why I am so drawn to running Boston again.  Perhaps its because the whole process was a feeling that I can't quite explain: The hard work of training to qualify, the pay off of actually qualifying, the anxiety of applying to run the race, the anticipation of race day and finally toeing the start line.  


Oh yeah.  And there was the 26.2 miles after that where feeling like a rock star doesn't quite explain it. Then, the emotion of finishing the oldest and most elite running event in the world.  Yeah, I can't wait to do that all over again.

Then, what should have been the biggest party of my life, besides my wedding night (which was a pretty big freaking party), turns into the terrorizing scattered mess that has rocked my being forever. 

You know, I still have my "after party ticket" that they gave everyone when you picked up your bib at the expo.  The party was supposed to be held down by Fenway Park and we were going to drink Sam Adams 26.2 lager until the aches and pains of running 26.2 miles went away.  We were going to rehash the race, every single mile, relishing every little moment from Hopkintown to Boylston Street.

We never did get to that party because it never happened.

I use that ticket now as a bookmark.  It is tattered and wrinkled.  And whether it is 2015, 2016 or 2017, I can't wait to bring that ticket back to Boston and truly have a Post Race Party. Because we all deserve it.

Whoa. Not sure where all that came from but it felt good to get it out.

Well, the streak lives on.  I won't bore you will the details of the past 8 days of running but I can tell you the highlights:
Day 45 I ran my longest distance since NY Marathon!  9.5 miles
Day 47 a run with my pretty friends and snow covered eyelashes 5.25 miles

I hit day 50 with some of my favorite Running 102 friends in class for 4 miles of hillwork
Day 51 brought me inside to the Jenison Fieldhouse at MSU to run with my Master's running team (sounds a lot more fancy than it really is).  Coach Jim pushed us with a speed workout that still has my quads sore!
Day 52 9 miles on the snowy streets in DeWitt with my Boston Marathon buddies.  

Until tomorrow, run happy friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment