Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Not sure what hurts more...

Not sure what hurts more...my head or my hamstrings.

Just because I run, doesn't mean I am in shape.  I have learned that the hard way after a torturous Bootcamp class at the Y.  What kind of instructor would inflict that kind of pain on her students?  Um...that would be me.

Michelle asked me to sub for her bootcamp class a while ago and I (too) eagerly agreed.  I mean, what could be so hard about that?  I run.  I'm fit.  No big deal.

I sensed I would be in a little bit of trouble when she gave me her list of exercises to do in class.  Then, I decided to swap out some of the lunges (she had lots of lunges going on) with some "fun" speed type drills.  I think I got a little overzealous with the old school PE drills...was I thinking I'd be sporting the track suit and whistle while my students ran cone to cone?

What I forgot is when you teach a class you also have to do the moves yourself.  And everyone is watching you so you have to do them 1. correctly  2. at maximum intensity  3.  for ALL the repetitions.  Yeah.  Wasn't really thinking about that when I added those suicide-type drills to the workout. 

I knew I was in trouble when I felt the stiffness in my hamstrings and butt about 1 hour after class ended.  By the end of the day, the only thing that was easing my soreness was the frozen vodka lemonades I was sucking down like slurpees. (Recipe for this lovely concoction to follow on "Downright Sinful" section of blog)

This morning, I hobbled down the stairs with the grace of an 80 year old (no offense to any 80 year olds out there reading this blog). My ever so observant 5 year old pointed out, "Mom, you can't walk right?".  I am hoping the 3 Motrin I popped serves dual purpose:  to stop the pounding drums residing in my head from excessive vodka lemonade consumption AND to make sitting down to go pee not such a challenge.  We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. Ummm....I am getting more sore by the minute! It was a great work out. I may need to work on my lunges and squats though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny ladies, I hear you about the soreness. I think this is something we are missing from our workout schedules since we are getting so sore. BUT maybe after the marathon training!

    ReplyDelete