Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Detox Day 1: Spinach, spinach everywhere. Literally.

Well I made it through a full Detox Day. I know you are all dying to know what I have ingesting over the past 24 hours. Well, even if you aren't, I'll tell you anyway.
Here is the smoothie recipe I tried for breakfast:

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
2 cups spinach
1 peeled carrot
1/2 cup water

blend it all together and it looks SO VERY lovely:



Yummmmmmmy. Actually, It wasn't all that bad, but I did taste the spinach a bit...how could you not with 2 cups in there? Get this: The kids were watching me whip this up and asked if they could have a smoothie too, with spinach in it. Really? I made them one with milk, frozen blueberries, a frozen banana and a cup of spinach. They LOVED it and thought it was so cool that they were drinking spinach. Even Sam...who won't even touch corn. Who knew??? Try it with your kids...

Believe it or not, the smoothie is very filling. I guess it's a lot of fruit and veggies in there, more than I'd eat whole in a sitting. Lunch was a piece of salmon with some guacamole and brown rice. The 3 pm munchies came on strong and the only thing I could eat was a handful of raw almonds. Not exactly what I had in mind...I had visions of a Diet Coke and pretzels or something. But, I roasted them and they were actually pretty tasty that way (i did throw some sea salt on them...a girl's gotta live here...).

Dinnertime proved interesting. I decided this week I'd make meals that I don't care for so I am not tempted to eat what the family is eating. With a horrible lack-of-caffeine headache I started on my smoothie. While that was working I was whipping up some breakfast dinner for everyone else. My blender got stuck a bit so I opened the lid (do you know where I am going with this?) and tried to stir it up a bit. I heard this horrible grinding noise and next thing I knew there was green smoothie shit EVERYWHERE! In my hair, on the fridge, counters, cabinets, on the ceiling!!! ARGH!!! and of course at that very moment, Zach walks in the door from work. And the boys are in the kitchen yelling , "Mom...what happened???" I really could have ditched the smoothie and used a glass of wine there. If anyone has cleaning tips for getting spinach guts off the wall/ceiling, I am all ears.

Detox day 2: Same concoction this morning (the kids did have another one of theirs too). Smoothie stayed in the blender and not on the ceiling. It's gonna be a good day.
I was rumaging through my cabinets in search for some other hot drink options besides decaf green tea when....Hark! What did my eyes see? A stolen package of Starbucks decaf coffee from a hotel stay this past summer. Is it probably stale? Sure. Is it not going to be as good as the real thing? I am sure not. But I trimuphantly took the coffee pot back out (i hid it this week to not pour salt into the wound) and brewed that stale, decaf stuff up. And as I sit here and type, I am savoring every last sip of it.

Lunch I am trying out a stir-fry recipe with buckwheat noodles from the Whole Living website.
I'll let you know how it tastes. Let me tell you, buckwheat noodles are not very easy to find in the aisles of a mid-Michigan Meijer. Dinner tonight is going to be one of the funky green detox smoothies recipes I found (think apples, celery, romaine lettuce...drink your salad?). I'll for sure take a picture of that sucker. I just hope it doesn't land on my ceiling!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kim, You are one STRONG woman. I admire your dedication to this and humoring us along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, don't tell any men you know, including Zach, but I'm reading here to steal secrets for new concotions to put in front of the kids ~ especially after my brussel sprouts experience! This reminds me of an organic smoothie that I buy from Meijers. It's barley, watercress, carrots, spinach, and just enough fruit to make it almost sweet. It's Incredible Hulk green, almost as thick, and, around our house, goes by the moniker "Bug Juice." Love it. Actually, Caroline does too.
    Enjoy your runs and detox!

    ReplyDelete