Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Early morning rendezvous

It really doesn't sound as mysterious as it sounds...
I decided that I needed to get my run in early this morning as I had more important affairs to attend to in the afternoon...like gorging myself with Peg's homemade bread and Lisa's Chocolate Cake at Danielle's Baby Luncheon. Recipes to follow on a future post. Ah...I digress...
Anyway, I am not a morning person. Never have been and never will be. My memories of waking up for school involve my mom throwing up the shades to my bedroom and stripping the covers off my warm, sleepy body. And me being very, very cranky.
So I planned ahead. I set my coffeemaker (have I mentioned how much I absolutely adore coffee? Although, my post-detox coffee is Starbucks half-caf breakfast blend, which is not all that bad) to go off so I would perhaps smell the aroma before the alarm went off. I laid out my shorts, tshirt, sneakers (yes, they are sneakers. Not running shoes), and ipod. No excuses. And it worked. The alarm went off at 6:15 and I bounded out of bed...not so much ready to run, but ready for that coffee I could smell wafting up to my bedroom. I took a sip or two of Joe, laced up my sneaks, and headed into the basement for my early morning date with the treadmill.
Sam wondered downstairs in his robot pjs about 1/2 way into my run. He was probably hoping I'd bust a move again. Sorry buddy, too early in the a.m. for that business. Tyler followed about 10 minutes later decked out in his sneakers, mesh shorts, and Detroit Pistons Tshirt. I was taken aback..."Tyler, you can't wear that to school. It is like 20 degrees outside!" Tyler answered, "Duh Mom. I am not wearing this to school. These are my WORKOUT clothes. I need to run. I have to start training for my race." I'm sorry. What??? Have I mentioned that my husband and Tyler are running the Race for the Cure 5K in April?
Next thing I know he is on the ground doing a little butterfly stretch and then doing some standing quad stretches ("I learned them in gym" he explains). So I let him jump on the treadmill and he busts out 1 lap and exclaims "MOM! I just ran a mile!!!" Oh buddy, if it were that easy. So I explain that 4 laps equal a mile. He scrunches his little face but presses on to do 4 laps in about 14 minutes. At one point I asked him if he was OK and he said, "Mom...I can't hear you...I'm running here". (I wonder where he heard that from?. Needless to say, I was quite impressed. The kid has better form than I do...thank God he doesn't have the gazelle prance like his mom ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment