Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

lesson learned

So last Saturday I ran in the Mint City 10 miler.  Yes, you may remember this ill-fated run from a few years  ago.  I think there was a monsoon hitting St. Johns, MI at the very time the horn sounded for us to run.  For most of the Diva gals, it was our longest run to date.   Sara and I were donned in Hefty's finest wicking garbage bags as we dodged hail, wind and pelting rain.  Somehow we survived that sloppy, wet run and we still talk about it amongst our group, or anyone who will listen, today.  It's quite legendary! (click here:  http://justanotherrunningdiva.blogspot.com/2010/03/deja-vu.html for more details if you are dying to know more.  it's worth a good chuckle).

for my good form running friends:  notice the thumbs up!  ha!

This year I ran it again;  no rain and a little bit more running experience.  Except for the fact that I decided an appropriate pre-run meal would be a large Mexican feast.  I'm talking chips, spicy (eek) salsa, guacamole, refried beans, fajitas, cheese and more cheese.   Topped off with a large Reese's Peanut Butter cup. Yes, they make them big.

Although I ran a good race (shaved 10 minutes off my time!), I did not feel well AT ALL.  I could hear the strange noises my stomach was making through my blaring iPod.  At one point I wasn't sure if I was going to lose said Mexican feast by way of my mouth or by way of...well...the other end.  And let's just say I felt really sorry for the people running directly behind...well...my behind.  The dairy farm may have smelled better.  Phew.

Thank goodness I was smart enough to forgo the tequila and coronas.  Then it would have been reallllly ugly.

Lesson learned for this weekend's race in Chicago:  Skip any restaurant the night before the run with the name "El", "Dos", or "Ole" in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment